NoVA Environmental Solutions is here to help you protect your home this summer from the environmental hazard of mold. Unfortunately, mold is an all-too-common problem that traditionally increases with the onset of warm weather, but with the proper preventative measures, you can keep your home free, and your family safe, from this harmful organism. This blog post will discuss reducing the chances of mold taking over your home this summer.
Mold is a type of fungus that can cause serious health issues. Not only can it lead to asthma and allergies, but it can also create potential respiratory problems. In addition, it is hazardous for people with compromised immune systems, such as young children or the elderly. In some cases, long-term mold exposure can even cause certain cancers.
Mold thrives in warm, damp environments, which makes summertime the perfect breeding ground for it. Unfortunately, as temperatures rise, so does the humidity in your home. This creates an ideal environment for mold to grow and spread, leading to various health concerns.
It is essential to prevent mold growth in your home and address any existing mold problems before they become too severe. If you notice mold growing in your home, it is best to call a professional to assess the situation and provide the best solutions. NoVA Environmental Solutions’ qualified team of professionals is the perfect resource to help keep your family safe and your home free of mold.
Here are some tips for preventing mold in your home:
- Control humidity levels. Mold loves moisture, so keeping humidity levels low inside your home is important. Use a dehumidifier if necessary and consider purchasing a hygrometer to monitor the humidity levels.
- Fix plumbing leaks. If you notice any plumbing leaks, fix them as soon as possible. Left unchecked, these can quickly become sources of excess moisture and lead to mold growth.
- Ventilate bathrooms and laundry rooms. These rooms tend to get steamy, creating a prime mold growth environment. Make sure to use an exhaust fan in the bathroom and keep doors and windows open in the laundry room when using the dryer.
- Clean surfaces regularly. Keeping surfaces clean and dry is important to keep mold at bay. Clean bathrooms, kitchens, and other areas frequently with non-toxic cleaning products, and don’t forget to mop up any spills or splashes that could lead to mold growth.
- Check for visible signs of mold. Take action immediately if you spot any visible signs of mold, such as black spots on walls or ceilings. Consider hiring a professional mold remediation company to safely assess the situation and remove any mold.
By following these simple steps, you can help ensure your home remains safe and free of mold this summer. However, if you suspect mold growth, notice a musty smell, or even if you are experiencing allergy-like symptoms or other mold related illnesses, contact Nova Environmental Services at (540) 645-6141 or request more information. We are here to help!