If you have water damage, it’s important that you act immediately. Mold can begin to develop in only 24-48 hours after the damage. Once mold has begun to grow, it will continue to do so until the moisture is removed and the mold itself has been eliminated.
As soon as you become aware of the water damage, you should begin to find the source. If the source is a flood, turn the power off immediately. If any cables or wiring is wet, have an electrician examine the wiring before you plug the power in. Check your pipes first to make sure that none of them are broken. If your pipes are not the cause of the water damage, examine shower and bath areas, windows, and doors for signs of cracks from which water may be leaking in. If you are unable to find the source, call an expert for help.
Once you have identified the problem, you need to assess the damage that has been done. Remove any items that may have been damaged by the water. These items should be thoroughly cleaned to ensure that no mold grows in them. If the walls have been affected by the water damage, you will need to remove all wet material, including the insulation. It is important to check the interior of the wall for hidden mold growth, as this can negatively impact your health. Attempt to dry out the area by opening windows (if the weather permits), dispose of moldy carpeting, and contaminated food, and if you are sure that no mold is growing, use fans. If mold is growing, fans will spread the spores which will result in more mold. You need to call an expert to help with this process and ensure that the mold is completely gone.
If at any time during this process you start to exhibit symptoms of mold exposure, stop cleaning. Some common symptoms are, headaches, hacking cough, eye irritation or redness, and difficulty breathing.
If you think you may have water damage, mold, or have any questions, call an expert from NoVA Environmental Solutions at (540) 645-6141 or contact us on our website. We will be happy to provide you with a free initial consultation!